It’s Foodie Friday! Last Friday I wasn’t able to post because I was busy cooking all day for our Friendsgiving. I made chicken taquitos, which turned out delicious! Hopefully I can post that recipe soon.
Anyway, here is a breakfast casserole recipe that’s super easy and super yummy. Normally my husband and I don’t care for breakfast casseroles. They’re usually heavy or too eggy. But, my husband will actually request me to make this one, which is a huge accomplishment!
A little background on this recipe. I actually got this “recipe” from my mother-in-law. I put recipe in quotation marks because she didn’t have an exact recipe, but more just explained to me how to make it and what was in it. She made it one weekend when we were there and it was delicious!
So a couple of weeks ago I tried to make this for the first time for a group. I was pretty sure I knew how to make it, but I tried to find a recipe just so I had something in front of me. After a little research on Pinterest, I couldn’t find a recipe like the one my mother-in-law made. So I did the best I could by combining a couple of recipes and working off of my own memory. The recipe turned out to be a huge hit, and very forgiving as well!
The main ingredients stay the same – sausage, cream cheese, and crescent rolls, but you can play around with some additions (I like to add some onion and shredded cheese) and the ratios. You might want more filling or more bread. I highly recommend figuring out what you like best!
Enough rambling by me though, here’s the recipe!
Super Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 1lbs sausage
- 1 8oz brick cream cheese (softened)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Colby Jack)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 packages crescent rolls
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet.
- While sausage is cooking, grease 8×10 pan. Lay 1 package of crescent rolls in the bottom, pinching the seems together.
- Beast cream cheese, egg, salt, and pepper together. Once combined, fold in shredded cheese.
- Once sausage is fully browned, drain and add to cream cheese mixture.
- Spread cream cheese sausage mixture on top of bottom crescent roll.
- Top with other package of crescent rolls, pinching seems together.
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
• This recipe can easily be assembled the night before, refrigerated, and then baked the next morning. It’s great for making ahead.
• You can use your favorite shredded cheese. Cheddar, Colby-Jack, and Pepper Jack are some of our favorites for this dish.
• We like this for breakfast, but it can also make a great finger food for any time of day.
• Sometime’s I’ll add some more spices, like paprika or dried parsely.